Course Media:Family, Community, and Population-Based Care
- “Assessing the Community” featuring Dr. Fernando Guerra, Ms. Joan Marren, Dr. Rachel Smith, and Dr. Barbara Sattler
Course Text:Public Health Nursing: Population-Centered Health Care in the Community
- Chapter 7, “Cultural Diversity in the Community”
- Chapter 16, “Using Health Education and Groups to Promote Health”
- Chapter 18, “Community as Client: Assessment and Analysis”
- Douglas, M., Uhl Pierce, J., Rosenkoetter, M., Clark Callister, L., Hattar-Pllara, M., Lauderdale, J. et al. (2009). Standards of practice for culturally competent nursing care: A request for comments.Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 20(3), 257–2 69.
- Running, A., Martin, K., & Tolle, L. W. (2007). An innovative model for conducting a participatory community health assessment.Journal of Community Health Nursing, 24(4) 203- 213.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Optional Resources are listed in the Week 4 Learning Resources area.
|Cultural CompetenceTo prepare for this Discussion, review the media presentations and Chapter 7 in the course textbook. Focus particularly on Dr. Smith’s presentation on cultural competence and on pages 146–152 in the textbook which discusses cultural competence. Also, review the Douglas, et al. article on “Standards of Practice for Culturally Competent Nursing Care.” Then, select a major ethnic or religious group from your community. With this group in mind, respond to the following questions:
- What major ethnic or religious groups are present in your community whose culture is different from your own?
- Discuss your assumptions about this group.
- How might a nurse’s positive or negative assumptions influence the care provided, and thus health outcomes?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
Post your response to this Discussion byDay 3. Respond to at leasttwocolleagues’ postings byDay 7. See the Week 4 Discussion area for details.
|Virtual Practicum Team Discussion
||Practicum Activities: Consider Levels of Nursing Intervention
This week your instructor has assigned you to consider the levels of intervention used in the community health setting. The three levels are community-level practice, systems-level practice, and individual-level practice. What do these terms mean? Read about the levels of intervention on page 192 to 193 of your textbook. To improve population health, the community nurse carries out her culturally-competent care sequentially and simultaneously at all levels of intervention.
Also, consider community resources as they relate to your chosen population-based health problem.
- Services provided by others health care providers
- Lack of services
- Cultural/ beliefs of community
- Health/illness beliefs
- Values, attitudes, health behaviors and practices
|Please address the following:
- Think about the how levels of intervention relate to the work you are doing regarding your population group’s health problem. Provide three examples of interventions, one for each level of intervention, that are appropriate actions to take regarding your population’s problem.
- Provide a few examples of community resources that need to be in place to assist your population group’s problem. Resources are especially important to assist vulnerable populations with reducing their health risks and disparities.
- Are there any cultural-based related issues regarding your group that should inform your approach to care?
Post your response to this Discussion byDay 5. Respond to at leasttwocolleagues’ postings byDay 7. See the Week 4 Practicum Discussion area for details.